As a divorce attorney, I'd like to say I've seen it all. But it never fails there is always a story yet to be told.
In their early twenties, Mr. and Mrs. Hammer were married some 50 years ago, and after two children and an agrument over money. At a young age Mrs. Hammer was left to raise the two children on her own and earn the family's income. Fast forward 50 years, Mr. Hammer dies, and it is revealed that the two never divorced. Although, Mr. Hammer "re-married", which brings me to my first point:
1. If you already have a wife/husband, you can not legally marry another. It's called polygamy and it's illegal in MO.
Besides most people don't want the first husband or wife, why even consider having two.
2. When dating ask the hard questions and follow up if needed. "Are you married" sounds like a pretty good question to start. I'm just saying, the Bible says when "a" man finds "a" wife, he finds a good thing. Last I checked the letter "a" is singular, meaning one. As a sidebar I'd like to encourage all the single women to stop chasing after them, the right one will find you.
3. Money is a sad reason to leave or stay with anyone.
Ok, Back to poor Mr. Hammer's funeral. No one has shed a tear over his home going, however the estranged wife of more than 50 yers is upset she can't figure out how much insurance money will be left to her. This a bit presumptuous. What if Mr. Hammer changed the beneficiary on the policy. But who are we kidding, he didn't bother to divorce Mrs. Hammer, so why would he have changed the policy. (marital status does not determine insurance policy awards; named beneficiaries are the determinate.)
Three weeks have past ,and Mrs. Hammer is still pining over her insurance benefits, which is a lot longer than she fretted over her marriage or Mr. Hammer's death.
My Point is this, God is a God that can not fail, he can do exceedingly above all we ask or think. He loves us so much He wants to chase us down with blessings. I'm not saying there will not be hard work or difficulties along the journey, but we certainly have the victory.
Mrs. Hammer has forfeited so many blessings, I'm not God, so I don't know them all, but I can imagine a marriage that was fulfulling, happy, and most importantly, a testimony to who God is. I can imagine prosperity and wealth throughout her entire life, was forfeited. More than just the few pennies, she may or may not receive from Mr. Hammer's insurance policy in her last days.
Marriage is, in the words of VP Joe Biden, a big f**king deal, so don't enter into it lightly. And while we all hope it works out, we live in a fallen world, so divorce happens. Ask for forgiveness, as there is no condemnation in Christ Jesus, and keep it moving. God has so much in store for you!
Leslie B. is a family law attorney in Clayton, MO. For legal advice/services contact Law Office of Leslie Tolliver, LLC 314-854-1359.
Good start, Leslie. Us bloggers have to stick together.
ReplyDelete